Belgium is a country which is located in Europe and geographically is very close to France and Germany. Though the country is small however the quality of life here is excellent. The main city of Belgium is Brussels. The main features of the country are its Renaissance architecture and medieval towns. The country also has the privilege of being headquarter of the European Union. Belgium is overall a diversified country and people from Dutch, German and French origin can be found in abundance here. Belgium is home to some wonderful tourist attractions as well and these tourist attractions are the reason why we are writing this article.
Tourism and Belgium:
Like most of the other countries in Europe, the government of Belgium has left no stone unturned as far as the safety and security of the tourist is concerned. Similarly the tourist sites have also been continuously maintained and well preserved. There are many well-known tourist destinations that currently exist in Belgium. Some of the tourist destinations of Belgium are briefly discussed below
- Belfry and Halle: Belfry and Halle is one of the most popular sights of Belgium which is located right in the heart of Bruges. The Belfry and Halle were constructed back in the medieval era. The main feature of this sight is the building and their unique architecture. Historically the building use to serve as a town market hall.
- Battlefields of Flanders: Belgium holds unique importance in the chapter of World War 1. The most historical place of the country in this regard is the Battlefields of Flanders. It is more a pilgrimage site where people come to pay homage to the thousands of soldiers that gave their lives during the World War 1. If you are fond of history then the place is ideal for you to visit.
- Saint Bavo Cathedral: If you want to see religious architecture at its absolute zenith in Belgium then the perfect location for you is the cathedral of saint Bavo. The main feature of the cathedral is the Altar of Ghent which is being visited by people all over the globe. The Altar of Ghent is considered as a Flemish masterpiece.
- Meuse Valley: The Meuse Valley is located in the southern part of Belgium. It is a nice dwelling to relax and is a place that contains beautiful scenery. The beautiful scenery is best depicted in the river, limestone cliffs and dense forests. The area also offers recreational stuff like hiking and cycling etc.
- Gravensteen: This is historical fort which was once held by counts of Flanders. The forest has been well preserved by the government and is a well reputed tourist spot nowadays which is being visited by both the locals as well as the tourists. The main features of the fortress are its thick walls, chambers and arched halls.
These were some of the most popular tourist attraction of Belgium. Apart from these there are many other tourist destinations as well.